-
November 19th, 1999, 07:24 AM
#1
Inactive Member
I was trying to come up with ways to cool the charge temp from the SC and came up with two ideas. I'd like to know what you guys think about them.
One or both of these might help cool the charge air temp in the JRSC setup.
1. Hood cowl. Having an opening right above the intake manifold may help cool the aluminum manifold so that the air temp inside gets chilled.
2. Wrap copper piping around the surface of the manifold, and pump water through it with an intercooler such as an oil cooler up in the open grill to cool the water. Have a reservour that holds extra water and possibly ice to chill the water even more.
With both the hood induction and the water cooling system, this may help reduce the air temp in the manifold. But then again, because the inside is a straight through design, the air might just pass through the manifold without ever getting the cooling effects from the manifold. Unless you could weld in some fins inside the manifold. Then the air would pass through the fins, which is in contact with the cold manifold, and absorb some of the heat.
Another idea I had is to paint the intake gasket with ceramic paint to prevent the heat from the head being passed on to the intake manifold.
What do you guys think about these ideas? Could they work? Seems like they would.
-
November 19th, 1999, 07:15 PM
#2
Silvino
Guest
If you cool the manifold itself, the actual amount of air cooled won't be that great. I've thought this over too and I do have one great solution but I don't have the time or funds to follow up on it. I work for www.tomshardware.com and we review computer hardware. One of the machines we've reviewed is something called a Kryotech machine that freezes the CPU to -40 to overclock the living shit out of it. Well one day I was mucking around with the machine and decided that I could use the compressor in my car and adapt it to cool the air after the blower. I would have to fit the piece that cools the air (it's like a metal grate) after the blower and at the enterance to the manifold. All air passing through the "metal grate" would be chilled (not sure how cold we'll get the air as it passes through yet since it's more of a concept). The compressor would sit in your trunk (they've actually did this to a prelude already) and the plumping would run to the front of the car to the cooling device. I don't have numbers to prove how cold it would get BUT there are two advantages to this idea. One, it cools all incoming air AFTER the blower and the restriction of the "metal grate" should be low. If we could get this idea working, the parts would cost a total of less than 500 bucks for the compressor and parts as long as no exotic metals are needed or super-special hand crafted parts.
------------------
Silvino Orozco
'97 Integra GS-R w/JRSC,JR Fuel pump, AEM Cold Air Intake, Powerstop rotors/Axxis Metal Master brake pads, A'PEXi Dunk Exhaust, J&S Safeguard unit
-
November 19th, 1999, 07:17 PM
#3
Silvino
Guest
Oh yeah, the compressor runs off electricity so there isn't an extra pulley needed.
------------------
Silvino Orozco
'97 Integra GS-R w/JRSC,JR Fuel pump, AEM Cold Air Intake, Powerstop rotors/Axxis Metal Master brake pads, A'PEXi Dunk Exhaust, J&S Safeguard unit
-
November 19th, 1999, 07:37 PM
#4
Inactive Member
a 25 Shot NOS is the best intercooler :-)
-Greg
------------------
94 Civic FROG
435HP/289 lb-ft. torque.
11 Second Club.
-
November 19th, 1999, 07:38 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I thought about that as well, since I'm in the computer industry also. I was thinking of putting in heat sinks on the inside, such that cooling the outside of the manifold should cool the heatsinks inside the manifold. As air travels past the heatsinks, it should cool the charge down. I also thought about sticking peltier devices on top of the manifold, etc., but I think just air being forced on the top of the manifold and SC will help cool the air temp just as well. Stick on a CAI and that should help even more. Not sure how much more efficient the Kyrotech cooler would be compared to just cooling the manifold/heatsinks, but at least it'll be cheaper, and less bulky. It'd be even nicer if you could weld a "cap" on top of the manifold such that you could fill it with cold water. Then the air forced over it would act like a air-to-liquid intercooler directly on the manifold.
[This message has been edited by AcuraMan (edited November 19, 1999).]
-
November 19th, 1999, 07:43 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Yup, A 25 shot does do a nice job
-
November 19th, 1999, 08:13 PM
#7
Inactive Member
That grate would cause to much turbulance and it wouldnt flow as smoothly, I dont think you could cool it enough to get a gain from what your loosing in efficientcy of the blower from the added turbulance in the manifold.
But who knows air is a strange creature.
------------------
Fire breathing, methanol guzzling, 9000 hp b18b.
-
November 20th, 1999, 12:00 AM
#8
Silvino
Guest
-
November 20th, 1999, 12:07 AM
#9
Inactive Member
A 25 shot of NOS has been worth 40+ hp on our Jackson setups. Highly recommended!
------------------
Red/black S2000
88 CRX DX 13.8@101mph all mota
http://members.aol.com/quickb18c
-
November 20th, 1999, 07:02 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Dry ice? Perhaps, but I would be worried about the extreme cold cracking the very hot casing on the charger. I guess if it didn't it would work quite well. On the other hand, if you use the little shot of NOS I was speaking of, the charger is cool enough after a drag race pass to place your hand on the charger without pain...then you would not need the dry ice =)
------------------
Red/black S2000
88 CRX DX 13.8@101mph all mota
http://members.aol.com/quickb18c
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks